THE STORY OF HOW WE GOT STARTED
This crazy adventure started with a set of snow tires.
My wife and I moved to Denver in the summer of 2015 and when the snow began to fall that first Winter, we knew we needed to upgrade our tires so we could survive our weekend ski trips.
So, I bought some studded snow tires that made our tiny VW Golf transform into a snow beast. And I simply put our old summer tires into the guest bedroom to wait till Spring.
My beautiful wife quickly told me that we weren’t going to store our seasonal tires in the guest bedroom. She wanted a proper bedroom for guests. Conundrum. We were already paying a ton of money for rent and didn’t want to spend $75/month at a local self-storage unit.
But, the choice was clear: spend the money for tire storage or have an upset wife.
I chose neither and instead launched a small business to solve storage problems for people.
Since beginning in 2016, we’ve found two great niches where we love to provide easy storage experiences.
- Colorado Tire Storage offers seasonal tire storage: This was the literal start of our business! We pickup, store, and deliver thousands of tires to local tire shops and dealerships throughout Denver and Boulder. Our customers never have to touch their tires or deal with the hassle of transporting them. We do all the work! Originally, this business operated under the SquirrelBox name, but now is known as Colorado Tire Storage.
- SquirrelBox offers easy college student storage: Our sister business, SquirrelBox, offers a valet storage service at colleges throughout Colorado. We pickup, store, and return thousands of boxes each summer. Our full-service approach alleviates the burden and physical labor involved with students moving in/out of dorms and apartments while they study.
My wife had no idea that complaining about our own tire situation, we would end up storing thousands of tires for our community and thousands of boxes for college students. Today, we’re a proud family-owned, Veteran-led business serving the Denver and Boulder communities.
Lastly, we wouldn’t be here without the help and support of many people. Thanks so much to my wife who has supported me and this endeavor from the very beginning. To my family and friends, your encouragement on the entrepreneurial journey is the only reason we’re still here. Thank you. Finally, to all our customers, you’ve trusted us and let us store your things. I’m honored and humbled, and I’m forever grateful.
If you’re not a customer, we hope you’ll consider becoming one. Safely storing your items is our priority and we won’t let you down. If you have any questions, please reach out directly to me.
A few fun facts:
- We landed our first customer one week after launch!
- Our most unique item stored has been a massive bean bag chair that took two people to carry!
- 26% of people in Denver don’t own cars! That’s one reason we pickup and deliver.
- The average set of tires weighs about 100 pounds!
- For the first 25 years of the car, tires where white! A chemical was added to make the rubber stronger but also resulted in turning the rubber white.
- Lego produces the most tires in the world! Yep, they make over 300 million miniature rubber tires for their customers each year.
Veteran & Family Business
- Cameron served on active duty in the Army for over 5 years as a Logistics Officer. He currently still serves in the U.S. Army Reserves.
- With years of complex logistics experience, Cameron loves storage and warehousing. It’s actually exciting for him!
- Cameron and Lindsey are partners in life and in this business. While Cameron runs the day-to-day operations, Lindsey has been a source of crucial encouragement and helps out with deliveries when needed!
- Their son has been featured in some marketing materials 🙂